This inventory provides information about each city and district: when they were created, how they are governed; types of services districts provide and a map of their boundaries and spheres of influence.
County of Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara is situated along the Pacific Ocean, between Ventura and San Luis Obispo Counties. It is 19th in population among the 58 counties in California. A significant portion of the County is owned by the Federal Government including Vandenberg Air Force Base and the Los Padres National Forest.
There are eight cities in Santa Barbara County. As of January 1, 2009 they have an estimated combined population of 287,347 or 66.7 percent of the countywide population of 431,312. The remaining 143,965 residents, or 33.3% of the total, reside outside of cities.
There are 52 special districts within LAFCO jurisdiction, of which 26 are governed by locally elected or appointed boards, 16 by the Board of Supervisors, one by a city council and one board is composed of city and county officials.
This inventory each city and special district and describes their:
- Locations and boundaries
- Adopted Spheres of Influence
Government Code section 56078 defines a Sphere of Influence as â€œ. . . a plan for the probable physical boundaries and service area of a local agency, as determined by the commission.â€
- Special District services
- Governing boards
Special districts are either â€œdependentâ€ or â€œindependentâ€ based on how they are governed.
- Independent districts are governed by a board elected by voters in the district or appointed for fixed terms of office.
- Dependent districts are governed by a board consisting, in whole or in part, of the officers of the county, a city or other local agencies or whose members are appointed to other than fixed terms.